- B.A., Neurobiology, University of California, San Diego
- M.S., Marine Biology, San Diego State University
- Chair, California Artifical Reef Enhancement (CARE) Program
- Member, San Diego Downtown Rotary Club
- Member, Military Industrial Legal Media Education Complex (MILMEC)
- Member, NOAA Marine Fisheries Advisory Committee (MAFAC)
Don was instrumental in initiating the Ocean Resources Enhancement and Hatchery Program (OREHP), a highly productive partnership with the recreational and commercial fishing communities and the California Department of Fish and Wildlife created to investigate ways to counteract the depletion of California’s coastal marine fisheries through stock replenishment. He is also responsible for the planning and construction of the Leon Raymond Hubbard, Jr. Marine Fish Hatchery in Carlsbad, where they have reared, raised and released more than 2.4 million white seabass into California waters. Don is also working to permit our nation’s first fish farm located in federal waters off the coast of southern California to revitalize our regional seafood industry and to help offset our dependence on imported seafood. Don has served on many local and national boards including the NOAA Fisheries Marine Fisheries Advisory Committee, as President of the San Diego Chapter of Sigma Xi, and on the San Diego Mayor’s Clean Water Task Force.